Saturday, July 11, 2009

The trip home...

Oh, it was a task trying to get home. I'm finally rested enough to make another post. The bus ride went well. Nothing wrong with that. I got to the airport in time for my flight. Did a little shopping beforehand. When I got to the US, it went a little nutty.

The flight to the US was good. The flight to Houston, however, was fully booked and they asked for volunteers to be bumped. So, I took that deal and got a voucher for money off another flight. That was cool. So, to get home, they put me on a flight to Charlotte, North Carolina and then a flight to Houston.

But, during the time before I had to get on the first flight, I had to call my Dad and tell him not to pick me up at the airport. I had no working phone and no change to use an airport phone. I finally found someone to give me change at the Philly airport and got the answering machine. I left a message for him and hoped he heard it.

So, when I got to Charlotte, that flight was overbooked too. I volunteered again since it wouldn't make any difference when I got back into Houston. But, they didn't pick me. I was a shame because it came with another voucher and a hotel room and breakfast. And a shower. I needed a shower at that point! Well, instead I got on the flight in first class for the first time ever. I don't know why everyone wants it. It's not that great. Sure, the seats are bigger and you get better service, but not for that price. It was just ok.


I land in Houston at some horrible time in the morning. I thought about taking a taxi but they cost too much. I waited a few hours for a bus and took that into Downtown. Once I got there, I couldn't figure out how to get back home and I trudged my way through the hot streets with about 20 pounds of chocolate. I finally found out what bus goes home and got on it.

Once home, I walked to my apartment. I didn't have the key. I gave that to my Dad because he was going to give them back when he picked me up at the airport. I got keys from the apartment people and got in my place. Well, then I couldn't find my car keys. My parents had an extra set, so I walked over there, hoped I could get in the house since no one was home, and finally got my keys. By this time, it is 10 am in the morning and I have to be at work at 12.

I get back home, take a quick shower, get something to eat, and head out to work. I nearly fell asleep several times at work. LOL! But it was worth it for the voucher. Although my Dad isn't too happy. He didn't get the phone message and was at the airport looking for me at 10 at night. Sorry!! I owe you.

That's my story. It took me 42 hours to get home and it normally takes about 18 hours. Still, I have a voucher for money off another flight...

No comments:

Post a Comment